Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Sweet Things

Well, hello there blogosphere. It's been a while, huh? I really didn't mean to let the last week slip away from me, but with traveling east and extra work assignments, I haven't had the brainpower to write up a post. I probably still don't, but I at least have cute pictures.

Last weekend, Joe and I flew to MD for my sister's bridal shower. My sister happens to think that I'm a huge dork for blogging, so I should take this opportunity to say HI SHIRLEA! She's getting married later this spring to a really swell guy. Here they are this past Thanksgiving, looking all in love and photogenic and stuff:

 

Yes, a collective "awww" is in order. 
Anyway, in preparing for the shower, I called upon an old friend from school who lives in the DC area to help us with dessert. Her name is Cara and she is the baker extraordinaire behind Cara Lee Cupcakes & Cakes (you should definitely click on that link for her adorable and delicious blog). Because my sister is marrying into an Irish family, fell in love with her fiance while traveling through Ireland, and is seriously obsessed with Gaelic music, we decided to go with an Irish theme for the shower. Here's what Cara came up with:


There were lots of tasty flavor combos of cake/buttercream (peanut butter chocolate, salted caramel, lavender vanilla, etc.) but the hands-down favorite was the "Irish Car Bomb" combo of Irish stout chocolate cake and Bailey's buttercream. Hoo boy, I think I had 5.

 

The rest of the shower was fairly typical of bridal showers. We laughed a lot. We cried. We played silly games (the Olympics are nothing compared to competitiveness of shower-goers). We hooted and hollered every time Shirlea broke a ribbon, which was easier said than done in some instances of industrial strength bows.


It was very satisfying to see my lil sis surrounded by supportive women and kitchen appliances. I'm not quite sure when it became a sacred ritual to bestow whisks and potholders upon the younger debutantes of the tribe, but there is a comfort in knowing that she will posess the basic tools of homemaking (if she so chooses to use them) and, more importantly, she has a gaggle of females who will be there to listen.

  
  

1 comment: