Monday, January 11, 2010

Mutt Monday: Boyfriend Dog

Around here we get a lot of doggie visitors because of our split-rail fence. Our dogs are pretty good hostesses, but this week, they fell in love. Well, Hokie fell in love anyway; Boston is pretty much a cynic when it comes to canine relationships.

ANYWAYS, we were joined by a very sweet young Lab that we called "BD" for "Boyfriend Dog," "Brown Dog," and "Big Dog" because they all apply.

We've seen him here and there for the last several weeks, and every once in a while he'd raid a can on trash day and share some of his scraps with our girls. This week, I guess, he decided to take the relationship to the next level by breaking out the big guns...or big bones, as it were:

Only the best, giantest bones for BD's lady loves. We found out later that he'd pilfered them from the One Acre Homestead. I guess all's fair in love and bone theft, but we'll do our best to replace them somehow. This one reminds me of a married couple sharing the remote:

As I've mentioned several times lately, the weather in our neck of the woods has been ridiculously cold. Like, in the single and negative digits with the wind chill. So being the giant pushover that I am, I couldn't help but let BD stay over night with us when he made it clear that he wasn't leaving his women, despite the weather. Some women are destined to be crazy cat ladies; I'll be the woman with 40 dogs. Besides, he was quite the charmer, what with his advanced ability to sit, stay, and infectious tail-wagging whenever he saw me coming.

Over the course of his 3-day stay, there was lots of lover's turmoil out in the yard. At first Boston turned a cold shoulder to the flirtfest.

But in the end, she couldn't refuse a man bearing cattle-bone shards, even if it meant sharing him with a younger woman. So scandalous.

We were content to let BD stick around until warmer temps prevailed and we could start the search for his people in earnest (because it was very clear that he was a beloved pet) but he struck out on the morning of the 4th day and we haven't seen him since. I guess he was born a rambling man. I'm sure we haven't seen the last of him.

EDIT: Sure enough, he was back first thing this morning to play. I'm sure he came right over as soon as his people left for work.

No comments:

Post a Comment