Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Coming Soon to a Plot Near Me!

I'll show you mine if you show me yours! My seed orders are arriving and packets are showing up in stores--it's go time, people!


The following is a list of what I'll be trying not to kill in the garden this year. I know it will change as I stroll through nurseries and stores and things jump out at me and bed to be taken home.

Vegetables:
Snowball Self-Blanching Cauliflower
Flame Lettuce
Little Gem Lettuce
Oregon Sugar Pod II Snow Pea
Red Malabar Spinach
Gotte Jaune D' Or Lettuce
Five Color Silverbeet Chard
Purple Hull Pinkeye Cowpea
Danvers 126 Half Long Carrot
Patisson Golden Marbre Scallop Squash
Early Prolific Straightneck Squash
Winter Luxury Pie Pumpkin
Table Queen Squash
Butternut Waltham Squash
Garden Pea Burpeeana Early
Garden Pea Wando
Bean - Heavyweight II
Soybean - Green Pearls
Striped Italian Zucchini
Early Golden Bantam Sweet Corn

Herbs:
Basil - Cinnamon
Sweet Italian Basil
Italian Flat-leaf Parsley
Lavender
Thyme
Spearmint
Rosemary

Flowers from seed:
Empress of India Nasturtium
Lemon Queen Sunflower
Orange Hawaii Marigold

Transplants still to buy:
tomatoes*
potatoes
onions
peppers*
sweet potatoes
asparagus
strawberries*

*I am planning to reserve an order for these plants to be started by a local grower, High Tides & Field Greens, who is a member of the Oklahoma Food Co-op. That way I won't mess up starting them from seed, but I can feel better knowing they are coming from a local farm instead of shipped from who-knows-where and sold on the verge of death at Lowes.

2 comments:

  1. Gee - Lowes buys from local (and to some degree regional) sources to at least help keep freight costs down.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't mean to bash Lowes (or their driver), since that's where I bought 18 or so berry bushes this year. But it's always good to support local small businesses. :)

    ReplyDelete