Friday, January 1, 2010

Happy New Year, I'm Not Dead!

Hello dear readers, and Happy New Year. Yes, I know that it has been more than a week since I posted anything (ack! no Mutt Monday post!), but I'm not apologizing. I've been too busy enjoying my family during the holidays and surviving Snowpocalypse 2009, and I hope you have been, too.

That said, I am itching to get back to blogging and to share with you some of my awesome Christmas presents (including a new camera--no more blurry shots!). I'd like to take a minute to jot down my resolutions for 2010, so we can all look back in 12 months and laugh at me.

In 2010, I will:

*Get organized. I've already gotten started by FINALLY UNPACKING MY CLOTHES that have sat in a Rubbermaid tub since May '08 when we moved here. I've overhauled my closet, Joe's closet, and I'm attacking the kitchen next. Employees of Bed, Bath, and Beyond: your jobs will be secure in 2010 thanks to me.

*Reduce paper consumption. Honestly, we do a pretty good job of this already, and if you've ever seen Mt. Cardboard in our garage, you'd know that we never throw this stuff away. However, I'd like to cut way back on paper towel usage this year, and maybe eliminate it entirely. One day.

*Lose weight. Roll your eyes, America. There is no such thing as a new year's resolution list without this one. This year, however, I have a running start (20lbs down!) and lots of knowledge and tools to help me get into better shape. I've done this one before, and I have awesome motivation. Besides my sister's upcoming wedding in May, I'd also like to take a shot at giving Joe a sibling one of these days. I did what I said I would: I enjoyed my first pregnancy and put no pressure on myself at all. Now that I know what to expect, I'm going to be a little smarter next time around and much more prepared. But first things first: smaller waistline.

*Homemade majority. This holiday season I tried my hand at baking my own bread (more on that in a future post) and it went really well. So well that when I went to Walmart last week and they were out of my favorite kind of wheat bread, I just shrugged and said "oh well, I'll just make some." And I did. And it was good. Better yet, it was a LOT cheaper than driving 25 min to town to feed the corporate beast. Moving forward, I'd like to try to eat at least 75% of our meals from homemade sources (and homegrown, too, as soon as the temps warm up). Beyond food, I'm going to try some other homemade avenues around the house, too. Stay tuned to hear how our adventure in homemade play dough turned out (hint: salty).

That's all I can think of at the moment. I think if I'm struggling to come up with more resolutions just for the sake of resolving to do them, then there's no way they'll get done.

Here's wishing you a happy and healthy year, folks! Let's make it a good one!

No comments:

Post a Comment