Friday, October 14, 2011

Locavore 4 Life!

I did it! I found a local producer of dairy and meats, AND they deliver AND their prices are great! I didn't have to look too hard, because they are relatives of the group that runs our CSA, South Mountain Creamery. While they are not a certified organic producer, they follow organic farming methods and are working on becoming a self-sustaining farm by using animal waste for power. I have recently read that eating local is better than eating organic if you only have those options, and I love the fact that we can go to the farm and see all the free-ranging animals!

Our first delivery arrived yesterday and we tried butter, yogurt, a whole chicken, and a lovely quart of fresh skim milk. The plain yogurt in our smoothies this morning made them taste like ice cream!

I'll let you know what we try next week!

1 comment:

  1. Try their buttermilk. I buy it mainly for baking (lots of biscuits and bread being made here these days), but also use it for my smoothies.

    ReplyDelete