Friday, September 23, 2011

Sweet Tater Muffins

So, it's fall. Fall usually means muffins in my kitchen...ok, days that end in "y" usually means muffins. Basically any excuse to get the smell of cinnamon going in the house is good enough for me, and the in-season produce of fall does the job particularly well. Pumpkins and winter squashes have proved to be excellent muffin stuffin', as has apples, carrots, and cranberries.

I've been on a baby-food-making spree for the last week or so, which means picking up extra sweet potatoes at the market. The one thing I've learned about making baby food from scratch is that if you're going to do all that cooking, peeling, and pureeing, you might as well do it in big batches. At $1.50 per pound, this super healthy fall veggie makes a ton of easy baby food with enough left over to try to sneak into Joe's food, too.

The following recipe is adapted from the Barefoot Kitchen Witch. I added rolled oats and flax meal, which I've been buying organic in bulk. I also subbed out the butter for low fat vanilla yogurt and pure maple syrup for some of the brown sugar. The yogurt makes it a surprisingly light and fluffy muffin, considering the relative density of the sweet potato.

The house, of course, smells amazing while these are baking.

1 overripe banana
1 large sweet potato, baked and cooled
1/2 cup low fat vanilla yogurt
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup pure maple syrup
2 eggs
2 cups all purpose flour
3/4 cup thick rolled oats
1/4 cup flax meal
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 pinch pumpkin pie spice




*Mix the dry ingredients together in a large bowl and set aside.

*In a stand mixer, blend together brown sugar, maple syrup, and yogurt.

*Add the eggs one at a time and blend well.

*Blend in the banana and sweet potato.

*Sift in the dry ingredients and mix until everything is just combined.

*Bake at 400 degrees for about 25 minutes.

I had to wait until Joe went to bed before attempting this recipe, because it only makes 1 dozen muffins and there would be none left for breakfast otherwise. It's almost midnight now, but I'm dying to have one with a big mug of coffee in the morning!

I'm also curious to see if my mom likes these, because she is very anti-sweet potato. Which of course makes me want to find some way to make her like them. I'll let you know how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment